11.23.2009

Mr. Oogie Boogie


This is Mr. Oogie Boogie from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.  He's for my coworker, JS, who is freakishly obsessed with the movie and this particular character.

The green yarn (which should be a more saturated lime green than pictured--thanks to impatience and phonecam) is Reynolds French Floss, quadruply stranded to be knit on US8 dpns.  The rest is scrap yarn.  To make the bedbugs leeching from his belly I single-crocheted some ugly, self-striping sock yarn into French knots.  The pair of red dice are plain, medium seed beads from the stash. 

He's about 6 inches tall from tip to toe, and while I would've liked to knit him a little taller, frankly, I got bored with it. He's ugly (being the boogieman and all) and shapeless (he's a potato sack).  The only fun thing was figuring how to create his face, the bedbugs and the dice.  I guess I'm all about the details.

3 comments:

  1. do you happen to still have some kinda pattern for him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I do not have a pattern for Oogie Boogie. He's pretty much a triangle shape with arms. I started at the top of his head and made increases every couple rows or so. His eyebrow ridge and mouth are a horizontal pleat, and both arms are cast on mid-row. You can definitely find instructions online for the individual elements to put him all together. His details were sewn on afterwards.

      Delete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/BusyBeesCrocheting/photos/a.326801847675189.1073741825.326800671008640/326801864341854/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete