9.27.2009

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

My friend, Teej, is a big fan of Futurama. It's one of those things he can't live without. Recently, he asked if I would knit Bender for him one day.

Bender Bending Rodriquez? Lover of insults, hookers and all things alcoholic? GLADLY!

I jumped on the Ravelry search engine about five seconds after I read his email and found only two. They were inspiring to say the least. One was a knitted Bender toilet paper cover and the other was a crochet Bender amigurumi, something I haven't tried yet which is quite baffling because amigurumi is FRICKING AWESOME and the possible toys are endless...but I digress. As per my norm, I ended up constructing a loose pattern in my head, and knitted top-down and in the round because I like everything to be as seamless as possible.



Head. Check! Body. Check! I only just finished attaching his legs and eyeballs a few minutes ago and all that is left to make are his arms and the casing that surrounds his eyes. Can I tell you? Once I attached his eyes, I got all excited because he was all, like, real. I also remembered why I wouldn't want to do this for a living: the tiny knitting would cripple my fingers in no time.

A free pattern will be available, however it will be extremely rudimentary considering I made it up as I went along and I never write the specifics down.

For now: more Bender quotes!

No comments:

Post a Comment