5.17.2009

Twinkle, Twinkle!

IMG_3715
Check out my Granny Star Afghan! Despite starting a good 6 or 7 times before I understood how the shaping was supposed to work--and, honestly, I still didn't get it all the way right--it still looks like a star. The points came out right but the concave parts were not so hot and I improvised as best I could to avoid making a big pentagon.

The center was the rest of my beautiful BMFA STR in "Jewel of the Nile" that I used to make my first and last ever pair of socks. The border is Muench Tessin, black with bright rainbow slubs, that matched enough with the STR. The Tessin is a true stashbuster as that was the first yarn I put my hands on when I re-discovered knitting almost seven years ago and thus catapulted to the top of my interests, became my primary hobby, and was the gateway to all other handicrafts--a story I'll probably post about another day. I've knit with the Tessin, frogged, debated between keeping and swapping, loved it and hated it, but finally--finally!--found a use for it.

Some other random things:
- This is another example of how yarn colors definitely look different in skein or ball than when it's all worked up.
IMG_3699 IMG_3706
- I used a 9mm/N hook with sock (STR) and aran (Tessin) so it's very smushy and snuggly and warm. Hello, wool.
- It's pretty small, maybe 18 inches across, so it's safe to say this is still a WIP.
- The rainbow theme was unintentional, and although the black looks a little jarring, the rainbow slubs will make it work. I do have some yarn ideas in mind to keep the stashbusting theme going.

No comments:

Post a Comment